The founder of our portfolio company Mate Academy, Roman Apostol, shared the story of his EdTech startup with MC.today.
We have collected main points from the article below for our English speaking audience.
1. Roman started his career in Software Development 15 years ago. First, he worked on freelance projects via Upwork. Then he was "hired" on a project-basis to US company Topcoder. Later Roman co-founded Preply.com.
2. Soon after Preply Roman was hired by Google New York and left Ukraine together with his wife and co-founder of Mate Academy. There he led the team of software developers called "Doubleclick".
3. In 2017, Roman left Google and came back to Ukraine to work on Mate Academy.
4. First investments ($50,000) Mate Academy raised from friends from Google and Facebook. Later, in 2019, Mate Academy raised financing from Genesis Investments, TA Ventures, and others.
5. At the moment, Mate Academy has employed 500 students and plans to employ 3,000-5,000 persons per year by the end of 2021.